Points of Interest

  • Shinn Curtis Log Cabin – The early settler’s log house of hand-hewn logs was entirely cased in a house on Water Street (now Rancocas Road) and was uncovered in 1967 when the surrounding house was demolished. It was in the possession of the Curtis family for 147 years, since 1802, and is now owned by the Mount Holly Historical Society.
  • Burlington County Prison – operated from 1811 through 1965. It was designed with prisoner rehabilitation in mind. The motto over the door, “Justive Which, While it Punishes, Would Endeavor to Reform the Offender”, was chosen by Robert Mills. When it closed in 1965, it was the oldest operating prison in the United States
  • Old Courthouse Complex – The courthouse is one of the finest examples of colonial architecture in the nation. It was designed by Samuel Lewis who also designed Congress Hall of Philadelphia. The Bell, cast in England in 1755, announced the opening of court sessions, and is said to have rung to signal the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
  • St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church – This church was established in 1742, and received its Royal Charter from King George III in 1765 while Benjamin Franklin’s son, William, was Governor of New Jersey. The present structure was erected on High Street in 1844.
  • Friends Meeting House – The Meeting House was established for the early New Jersey settlers, most of whom were Quakers. The first building was built in 1716, but no longer exists. The present building was used by the British as a commissary in 1778, and was the setting for 1779 meetings of the State Legislature.
  • Brainerd School – This is the oldest school in New Jersey standing on its original site. Founded by 21 men in 1759, it was used as a school until 1848. Some of its furnishings include a schoolmaster’s desk, student desks, slates and a 1752 Bible.
  • Relief Fire Company No. 1 – This is the oldest continuously used active volunteer fire company in the United States. It was organized in 1752 as Britannia Fire Company. The original firehouse sits next to the present firehouse building which dates back to 1892.
  • Thomas Budd House – The Budd House is the earliest known residence on its original site in Mount Holly. Thomas Budd was a plantation owner and is one of the incorporates of the Mount Holly Library. His son and grandson, Dr. Stacey Budd, both lived in the home. Dr. Budd added a third floor to the structure, but it was removed in 1927.
  • The John Woolman Memorial – (October 19, 1720 – October 7, 1772) was an American itinerant Quaker preacher, traveling throughout the American colonies, advocating against conscription, military taxation, and particularly slavery.